Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 10yr old has not eaten or drank days. he is a wes

my 10yr old has not eaten or drank for 2 days. he is a westie
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Is he lethargic? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes he is lethargic vomiting and diarrhea yes but not bad. no existing medical conditions. no other symtons.
1- How often is he vomiting? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only once in the past couple of days. i am sorry i don't know his weight. about 24hrs.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, the symptoms that you are describing of anorexia, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. His poor appetite is a direct consequence of not feeling well. In order to get him to eat we first need to figure out why is he vomiting and has diarrhea. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause on history alone without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, systemic diseases (kidneys, liver, hormonal), etc. to name a few causes. Regardless of the underlying cause not drinking for 2 days is a major concern, he must be dehydrated. In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian today for supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetics, etc.). While he is on supportive care your vet will run some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be determine by exam and test results. In the meantime, begin to give him water with a dropper directly into his mouth. You can try offering him low sodium chicken broth to get him to drink. In addition, force feed him small amount of a bland diet like rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter