How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 33265
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

My chihuahua has eaten a lindor chocolate. What should I d

This answer was rated:

my chihuahua has eaten a lindor chocolate. What should I do?
It's unlikely that you need to do anything but have a world with Sookie. It takes ~ 2 ounces of solid milk chocolate per kg of body weight or ~ 2/3 of an ounce of solid dark chocolate per kg of body weight for Sookie to become intoxicated with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause agitation, tremors, vomiting, and even seizures if ingested in sufficient amounts. Please let me know how much Sookie weight]s and how much you would estimate that piece of chocolate to weigh and whether it contained milk, dark, or especially dark (70-80% cocoa) chocolate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The chocolate weighs 1/4 ounce. Sookie weighs 3 kg. The chocolate is milk chocolate.
Thank you! A 3 kg Sookie would need to ingest ~6 ounces of milk chocolate to be worrisome. He should do nicely although transient GI distress (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea) is always possible after ingesting such an unusual food. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.