Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has loads of scabs on him

My dog has loads of scabs on him
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he itchy? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- How often are you bathing him? 4- Can the scabs slough off the skin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes
2 5 weeks or so
3 I don't
4 it's dry and can be picked away leaving a wet bloody patch
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No bother ta
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a skin bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). Untreated this can progress to a deep pyoderma, for this reason it is important that he is seen by a veterinarian to start him on oral antibiotics. In the meantime bath him 2-3 times a weeks for 2 weeks with a shampoo called chlorhexiderm (chlorhexidine), you can buy this over the counter in any pet store. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the help
You're welcome.