Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is 14 yrs old his back legs haven't been great for

hi my dog is 14 yrs old his back legs haven't been great for a while now we suspected arthritis he has always been happy within himself and still is today although earlier this evening he took a fit/seizure can anyone help with information on how this could've happened and is there any treatment that could help with his back legs as I obviously don't want to have him put to sleep as hes loved so much but if that's the only option then I will do so with deep regret.... thanks for your time
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Can you describe what you saw as a seizure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
russo was lying on the floor his body was shaking and he had saliva coming from his mouth his eyes were rolled back so you could see the whites of his eyes he also urinated some
1- Is this the first time it happens? 2- Is he back to normal now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes this is the first time it has happened, he seems to be a little restless walking up and down although he has been lying in his bed he has been urinating a little more than usual once indoors hes also been bumping into things that hes never done before
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because of his age his eyesight isn't as good or his hearing but hes never bumped iinto things before
Friend, as you have suspected what you describe is consistent with a seizure. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. One of the most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide). As far as the legs, this is a separate problem, it sounds like he may have arthritis of the hips, spine or a combination of both. In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. If the seizure occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe him tonight, if he seizes again have him checked by ER veterinarian. For his back legs, discuss with your veterinarian about starting him on prescription medication like Rimadyl (carprofen), metacam, etc. These medicine will help with the inflammation and pain associated with arthritis, it may improve his gait. In the meantime begin to supplement with glucosamine (cosequin), this will help by promoting the production of joint fluid. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store, keep him on it long term. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so his legs could be helped even although he is an old dog, I was afraid that cause of this he may have to be put to sleep
Yes, it is very likely that he could be helped with medication. No need to put him to sleep without giving him the benefit of some really good prescription medication. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so our vet would offer medication for both if needed before putting him to sleep as ive said hes loved so much in our family and I wouldn't want this unless necessary for russo himself, as I recall many times through the years when I was a girl the vet put family members dogs to sleep due to their back legs giving up on them. I know now a days there are different things available to help give dogs etc a longer life and I know ive had russo for 14 nearly 15 years but id love to have him a while longer
We have very good arthritis medication now for dogs that we didn't have before. So, I am sure your vet will be willing to try one of these medications and see how he does. In addition, begin to supplement with glucosamine. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does arthritis cause the legs to give way as sometimes russo falls to his bottom as one of his back legs are collapsing when he walks (turning inwards)
yes it does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks a lot for your time much appreciated
You're welcome. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a way I can print out your advice as there is a lot of information to remember lol or even a way I can send it to my email for future ref
You can paste it and then pass it on to an email and email it to yourself. Or, right click on the mouse and press the "print" option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** good at techno stuff lol and thanks a lot for your time and expertise as I said earlier very much appreciated x
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last question, will the supplements help on their own or will I need take other medication from the family vet
In some mild cases the supplement alone is enough. But, it takes like 3-4 weeks to see significant benefit. In an older dog that is showing weakness as you have described it best to do both at the same time. The anti inflammatory medication will start working within a day or two.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
abosoloutly brilliant thank you soo much :)
You're welcome.