Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My five and a half month old puggle has just vomited all her

My five and a half month old puggle has just vomited all her evening meal back. She hasn't eaten much at all today and when given treats ( training her for commands) she takes them but places in her bed. No liquid at all drunk( I measure)she is breathing deeply and heart racing, lethargic. This is all a first for her and I'm worried.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. No
2. Last check up was 3 weeks ago and she weighed 6.8kg
3. Her gums look pink
1- How many hours since she ate her meal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6pm so 4 hours ago. She vomited within 30 minutes after walking round in a state of lethargy . That meal was 61g of natures diet puppy junior which she has had since 10 weeks old. She has refused all treats and dry food since yesterday.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, lethargy and vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by family vet for a hands on examination. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. Or, you can use Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not in an area where I can purchase any medication nor do I have any in the house. Will she be ok tonight, is there anything I need to watch out for?
If you can not get these meds just fast her as I describe above. If she continues to vomit while fasting, gums turn pale (should be pink), bloody diarrhea, etc. I would have her checked by ER veterinarian. Please reply if you have additional questions.