Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog is licking his genital area alot and i noticed his

my dog is licking his genital area alot and i noticed his penis looks red and sometimes swollen
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Is he having any trouble with his urination?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he seems to be drinking more and he does not cock his leg so often he seems to wee more like a bitch would
OK, I'm suspicious that he may have either a foreign object in his prepuce or an infection called balanoposthitis.
I recommend having him seen by your local vet. I would start with a physical exam, checking for any signs of irritation in a specific area which might indicate foreign material. I would also flush his prepuce with saline or a dilute anti-microbial solution.
That is often sufficient to treat the irritation, but some vets may also prescribe an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin for a short time.
Long term, you could consider giving an oral probiotic like Fortiflora mixed with his food.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you very much
You're very welcome!