Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Dog

My dog has had diarrhoea and wind days. She is 3 years old

My dog has had diarrhoea... Show More
My dog has had diarrhoea and wind for 3 days. She is 3 years old and is still eating fine not drinking loads of water and running round as normal. Any advice.
Show Less

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

6- Is she on any other medications?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting, and no other problems from the above. The only thing she has done is find an old bone I think she had buried in the yard. She is about 28kg in weight and on no meds.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.