How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 33273
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

My Border Terrier was taken to an eye specialist last

This answer was rated:

My Border Terrier was taken to an eye specialist last Wednesday with bleeding in the eye (wine coloured and swollen). Following an examination and scan there was no lens luxation or glaucoma, however she suggested possible removal due to the bleeding / damage within the eye. We decided to try 2 weeks of steroid drops (x 4 daily) and metacam for pain relief and as an anti-inflammatory to see if we can save his eye before going ahead with the op. Earlier this evening, I observed what looked like a contact lens on the surface of the eye (off-center) and called the emergency vet. However, it seems to have disappeared now and the dog is asleep and comfortable. If it definitely was a luxated lens, are we OK to wait until tomorrow to see a vet as it's out of hours now (and they wouldn't be able to perform surgery anyway)? N.B if it is a luxated lens we would definitely opt to have the eye removed due to the other issues which could cause too many complications.

Caitlin, I'm sorry to hear of this with Harris. That "contact lens" is called an aphakic crescent - the crescent-shaped tapetal reflex seen between the iris margin and a subluxated lens. I don't see a reason for an ER visit for the very reasons you stated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much that's hugely reassuring- it can be very alarming doing too much research online! Tomorrow is Sunday so unfortunately the eye specialist looking after Harris is closed, however we can go to a different vet (Thistle vets are open on a Sunday- we're in Edinburgh, Scotland). Would it be pushing it too far to wait until Monday morning to go back to the eye specialist if he isn't in any distress? It's Saturday night here now. Thanks again, Caitlin (and Harris)

You're quite welcome, Caitlin. If the eye is to be enucleated and Harris remains non-painful, waiting until Monday is certainly appropriate. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much and will do :-)

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.