Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 40 kg 9 month Newfoundland ate a full pack of 500mg

Hello. My 40 kg 9 month Newfoundland ate a full pack of 500mg paracetamol, at least we think it was her, I have a 3 year old Newfoundland weighting 62 kg and it is very unlikely shed do something like that but I am still worried.
I found an empty packet in my garden and I'm unsure what to do.
Will they be fine? Or will I need to phone the vet?

Paracetamol (acetaminophen) becomes toxic at 150 mg/kg in dogs. That would be equivalent to 6,000 mg in your 9 month old and 9,300 kg in your 3 year old. Do you think either could have ingested 12 or 19 pills, respectively? If so, inducing emesis would be indicated. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lucky no
Only about 4 were in the packet

Ah! Wonderful news. Bonnie (and Clyde?) should remain unaffected although there's always the chance that GI distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise after ingesting such an unusual "food".

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish aha and no Bella
I'm glad they should be fine and I'll look out for any signs of vommiting and diarrihea if this accurs should I take her vets?

No, it would be transient and expected to remiss unaided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much for your help

It's my pleasure.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
I really appreciate your help. You eased my worry and most of all helped me with my dog. I'm being much for careful in the future