Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice
16703648

My lab had puppy last night around 11.30 pm today she has

Hi my bitch lab had puppy last night around 11.30 pm today she has eaten and drank however not done any of her own business. She's panting alittle however don't know if due to weather her pups are feeding and clearing them selfs out too. Is the panting something j should be worried about

Hi there, my name is*****! Congrats on the new puppies, I'm sure they are adorable!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was just wondering if panting and alittle pushing after wards is normal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you ring me on***********please

The panting could be normal, however if she is still pushing she may have another puppy coming. Did you have x-rays prior to her whelping?

No unfortunately I cannot call you. If you would like a phone call, you can go back out and request a phone call but I am unable to provide that service.

The x-rays were to confirm how many puppies she was carrying.

Would you like a veterinarian to call you? If so, I can opt out and you can request a phone call.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok well she finished having pups early hours this morning she had 8 however 2 were born not live she has some greeny black dark I don't no if it blood or normal discharge from birth she has eaten n been drinking . Sadly no we didn't as as soon as I found out she was she was pretty much ready as was not a planned pregnancy however looking after mum and pups to best of my ability now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do u think this is normal and I'm just panicking

If you are seeing green/black discharge, this is the discharge that is around the puppy. Do you know if she passed all the placental sacs for each puppy? This is the tissue and membranes around each pup when they are in the uterus.

No, I think you have the right to be concerned. When we see that discharge, along with panting and contractions still, it is an indicator she may have another puppy in her uterus and may be experiencing a problem whelping the pup, or she could have a retained placenta, which can be dangerous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We seen some not sure if all as she was keeping her self tucked away if you understand so couldn't see everything what should I do

I would recommend giving your vet a call to see if you can take her in for a quick x-ray. This will confirm if she might still have a pup present. If there is no puppy, then they may give her an injection of oxytocin to help her uterus contract so that she can essentially 'clean' out her uterus of fluid and potential retained placental material.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will she be ok and survive

Unfortunately if she has a puppy within her uterus still and is having problems whelping him, she may need assistance from your vet. There is not really anything you can do to otherwise help. It is also an emergency if she has a puppy she is unable to pass on her own. Some bitches may require a c-section to remove the pup if medications do not help her with her contractions.

In most cases, if we give them the help they need, the outcome is good!

Are you able to give her regular vet a call to see if you can take her in for an x-ray?

Do you have any further questions for me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Erm I going to ring pdsa see if they will have her in will they look after her for me n will I have to take pups too and will she have to stay over x

It all depends on what they find. If she has a pup that is stuck, she may have to stay potentially for a few hours to possibly overnight. If they do not find any pups, they likely will send her home after giving her some medicine. I would take the pups in a laundry basked with lots of bedding to keep them warm and safe, just in case.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much will they be annoyed I'm taking all 6 puppys

You are most welcome! I don't believe so, I'd rather have the pups with mom if need be. I wish you the best of luck with the momma and her pups! Hang in there, she'll be ok!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank u I'm so upset thank i

Hang in there, you are doing everything you need to for her at this time! Be strong for her, she'll be ok!

Best wishes to you my dear! You can do this!! Try and have a good day!

Please remember to give my answers a rating! Thank you I appreciate it!

Good luck!

How is your momma dog doing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fine she had another 4 pups after took her to vets n they checked her over thank you

Oh wow! She had quite a litter! I am glad she was able to have them on her own! You are most welcome! Glad I could help!

If you could rate my answer that would be great! I hope you have a great day! Congratulations again on the puppies!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank u so much for your help too how do I rate

There should be an option to close out and rate the expert, otherwise my answers. Look down to the lower right