nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dog been swimming in blue algae affected water. What can we

Dog been swimming in blue green algae affected water. What can we do?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was he in that water?

How is he just now?

What signs are you seeing?

Did he drink the water?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Approx 1hr. We didn't realise it was infected but the algae was on the other side of the lake. He certainly drank the water. It was 2 hrs ago and there are no symptoms as yet.

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care here since we don't know how much he may have had and thus the toxicity risk. Though just to note, this type of algae can cause serious signs if they do have quite a bit. Specifically, we can see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), stomach ulcers (leading to black stool, belly pain, pale gums), liver damage, tremors and seizures. With this in mind, we'd either want to see if the local chemist can dispense activated charcoal (1-4g per pound of his weight every 8 hours for 24 hours) to bind the toxin as you closely monitor. Else we'd want him to his local vet for IV fluids and activated charcoal. And in any case, we do need to be aware that signs can develop late with this, so while his being well now is good it doesn't mean Taylor is out of the woods.

So, one of those 2 options would be best to be safe for him and avoid any harm. And I would just note that some vets in our country have regular office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most practices have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are closed. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on contacting their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find a local one via the RCVS Register ( or Vets Now ( who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get this checked out sooner then there are options to do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**