Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine

My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine from my tablets is he going to be okay
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine from my tablets is he going to be okay
Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine from my tablets is he going to be okay
Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine from my tablets is he going to be okay
Assistant: What?
Customer: My 22lb dog has ingested 20mg of deizepam and 60mg of codine from my tablets is he going to be okay
Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: He's sleepy
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Marcus 8
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marcus?
Customer: He's eaten my medication

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How long ago were these ingested and is your dog symptomatic at this time? The diazepam isn't considered an overdose but the codeine is dosed ~50% higher than the highest recommended dose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think around 2 hours ago

Thank you. It's too late to induce emesis. How is he currently acting, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is a little a little lathergic

A little lethargic is acceptable. Between the diazepam and codeine I might have expected him to be plastered. Thankfully, neither drug is expected to be life-threatening unless Marcus suffers from an underlying condition in which those drugs would be contraindicated. Is he otherwise well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He suffers from GME which he is currently undergoing treatment for

Thank you. Both of those drugs are central acting and so it's difficult for me to predict how they would act on a GME patient. Suffice to say, if he's currenty stable, he should remain stable. Expect sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") for up to 12 hours.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will they interact with the steroid medication for his GME

No, they won't. Both could conceivably be used to treat some GME patients.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I can't be 100% certain that the pill box he ate had 60mg of codine in if it was two doses of 120mg what should I look out for?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any possible ill effects?

I would expect even more sedation and ataxia. Overdoses of opiates such as codeine may produce profound respiratory and/or central nervous system depression in most species. Other effects can incldue cardiovascular collapse, hypothermia, and skeletal muscle hypotonia (weakness). Thankfully, oral bioavailability of codeine in dogs is very low; in other words, very little gets in their system because the liver metabolizes most of it before it reaches the brain.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.