nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have a 1yr unspayed Samoyed girl. She woke up at 3am last

We have a 1yr unspayed Samoyed girl. She woke up at 3am last night and she hasn't slept at all since (it's 9am now), very restless (running around, jumping, whining). She's also very itchy and sits down every few meters to scratch herself a bit everywhere (not in any specific area). This has not happened before. Currently she's in very heavy shedding season and we've been combing her daily with a metal wide tooth comb. Her shed started a week ago though, and she hasn't been restless before.I have also tried checking her stomach for bloat, but she shows no discomfort if I press around her belly area in various places. She's in good shape and a fairly athletic build.
Just in case, I fed her half her usual amount of food.I regularly apply flea and worm drops behind her neck once a month with last application two weeks ago.I tried checking if her skin is irritated, but her fur is so thick it's really hard to see more than a few very small patches, and they are the usual pink. I last washed her around 2 weeks ago. She's generally washed once every two months when really muddy.I also wondered if it could be related to her coming in heat again, though her last heat cycle was only in August, and she doesn't look puffy down there.I've also swapped her water out for a room-temperature camomile infusion, with no effect.Any ideas?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is Suki just now?

Any changes to her skin (sores, pimples, pustules, crusting, etc)?

Any contact with plants, new sprays/powders/laundry soaps/etc. at home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just came back from a local weekend vet, but they didn't really know. They checked her, noticed her scratching and said "She looks fine, it looks like an allergic reaction, but I can't identify any sources".Basically, it's a case of acute itchiness.There's nothing unusual on her skin, it looks even and her normal colour/shape allover, she's just shedding a lot right now.
The doctor gave her some anti-histamine tablets, but I'm not sure they did anything.
She finally managed to settle down now after around 11 hours of restlessness.
I can safely say that she hasn't been in contact with any dangerous chemicals or soaps, they are all stowed away safely.We're not sure if we should even comb her tomorrow or not (could this help, or make things worse?).
Assuming this is skin related, is there something we can do to calm her skin?

Hello again,

Now I have to agree that when I read your history about Suki it sounded like a diffuse allergic reaction. And while some can be focal and the cause is clear, its more common have diffuse ones without a clear trigger. Generally speaking it won't be related to a heat/season and instead from contact with an allergen internally (ie food based) or externally (ie pollens, carpet powder, laundry soap, dust/storage mites, etc). So, I have to say that the diagnosis is reasonable and the treatment is as well. Though if you find the antihistamines are not strong enough (they are intended for mild cases), you can ring the vet for steroids as those tend to tackle more severe allergic reactions. And just to note, if you have had her started on Diphenhydramine/Benadryl, that one can be used up to every 8 hours if you need to better manage this for her. Otherwise, you can comb her out but also consider giving her a plain water bath to rinse off any topical allergens or you could even bathe with an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) to topically reduce her discomfort. Finally, if there are any focal lesions, OTC hydrocortisone cream can be used on these. So, I'd add these in just now with a view to possibly having the vet dispense a short course of steroids if the antihistamines don't get her feeling settled here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**