Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been a bit off-clour over the weekend... She's

Hi there, my dog has been a bit off-clour over the weekend... She's eating, drinking and going to the toilet as normal, is walking around fine, but shes not as energetic as normal and seems sleepy...She's not spayed, so wondered if it may be her season (she does seem a bit swollen in that region, but no blood!)We've had her 6 months, she last had a season about 6 months agao just befor we got herShes a 5 year old mini Dachshund

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You may be correct. During proestrus - the initial stage of her heat cycle - the vulva firms and enlarges. You may or may not see frank blood as the discharge ranges from serous (serum-like) to serosanguinous (serum + blood). The average length of proestrus is 9 days with a range of 0 - 17 days and so you can see that there's quite range of presentations. Having a season 6 months ago further supports that she's coming into another one now. This can be confirmed by her vet who can perform a vaginal cytology looking for the tell-tale changes in the vaginal epithelium. Behavior varies as some dogs remain unaffected by their cycle while others may appear under the weather and even suffer from gastrointestinal disturbances. As long as Izzie is otherwise well - as appears to be the case- there's no reason for a vet visit. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! I got home on Tuesday and she was her old self again - haven't spotted any bleeding but she has been cleaning herself, so possibly got to it before we did!Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.