Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has eaten a belgian triple chocolate cookie, she's a

Hello, my dog has eaten a belgian triple chocolate cookie, she's a small Staffy probably weighing about 12/13kg. They're quite big cookies and quite rich. I'm hoping that I'm just overreacting but reading some things online I'm starting to worry.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Isobel, it would take at least 2 ounces of pure dark chocolate per kg of body weight (24 - 26 ounces for Lizzy) to intoxicate her with the theobromine in chocolate (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion). As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Lizzy wasn't intoxicated and will remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest! I

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.