Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Assistant: What do you want help with? My mother's dog was

Hello there,
Assistant: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: My mother's dog was rushed in this morning. It seems he had developed a large organic lump on the back of his neck around near the collar area. He went it for it removed last week, the wound looked awful. He has within the last month been put on a new prescription of Thyforon for what appeared to be an under activ ethyroid. I am, doing my best to try and find an answer to what might have happened to him. he is also on Rimadyl for his arthritis and a joint supplement Mi Pet active + and he was prescribed Dermisol for the wound.
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Id just like to be sure that there have been no side effects to his treatment.
Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Apparently he was taken in this morning, I dont know much more than that. he has liver damage too, something that has developed. I wanted to make sure it might not have been hepatic dysfunction... His name is ***** ***** he is 8.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monty?
Customer: th eliver and his thyroid, the meds, and now this what might be cancerous lump has appearead and all developed, or at least been treat for, in the last month or so. Right thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His wound looked red and sore this morning,
7 days since the OP. They could see that the wound was showing signs of discharge as it was pale brown colour and dried to his coat. An different colour from the ointment prescribed, Dermisol.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That was their reason for taking him this morning.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Doctor.

To make sure I got this right, Monty had a lump removed last week and the wound looked awful this morning and had to go back this morning. So, you would like to know why or if this is a side effect of the medication?

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cant speak right now as I am in Uni currently.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is it really doctor. I would like to know if it has anything to do with any medications.

Please disregard the phone request this is sent by the website automatically not me, chat is fine.

When they removed the lump did they submit it to a lab to have it evaluated and find out the exact name or type of lump?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok great, I believe so yes. I am not sure of the turn around time on that though. Just confirming that they are investigating the cause of the lump.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK can confirm that it is off for biopsy.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thank you's Doctor Peteres.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PS. This keybord is from hell, plese excuse typo's.

Friend, the wound opening up post lump removal is not a side effect of the medications Monty is on nor is it secondary to his liver condition. Generally, common causes for the wound to open up is too much movement to the surgical site, an infection, fluid buildup, and in some cases when there is malignancy (cancer) the tissue may not heal appropriately and it will open up. So, right now Monty will be re-evaluated by the vets and depending on their findings they will either choose to treat the surgical site as an open wound and let it heal by scaring or they may need to go back in and try to repair the opening. I am sorry that you guys are having to go through this with Monty, but, it is a common outcome often seen with a lump removal.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank Doctor,I guess it was the liver condition, and the effects on it caused by certain prescriptions that may cause hepatic dysfunction. I wanted an independent to answer for me. Which you have provided, thank you.So it is unlikely that the cyst-like lump or decline in liver function can be caused or attributed to at least, by any of the above treatments or medicines provided for Monty at this stage?I understand he is a pedigree, which is as good as saying, 'cursed' these days. but it's my main concern, and my wanting to ensure that everything has been done correctly and to the best pf everybody's ability, as he is a cherished animal of the family, and is a member of it thusly.

Exactly, it is not likely for any of these to be attributed to the lump or the opening of the wound post surgery.

I am glad I was here to help. :)

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter