Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is shaking and keeps wanting to go out to the toilet

My dog is shaking and keeps wanting to go out to the toilet she was sick yesterday and there was a bit of blood in there

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Roxy, please?

Does "...keeps wanting to go out to the toilet" refer to urination, defecation, or both? Does "she was sick" refer to vomiting or ? Where was the blood - in vomit, urine, feces?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She wants to urinate blood was in vomit

Thank you. Hematemesis - blood in vomit - is an important symptom but it's not pathognomonic of any one particular disorder. It's a danger sign for quite a few disorders. They include the following:

Bleeding disorders such as an anticoagulant rodenticide toxicosis

Infectious disorders (parasites, viral, or bacterial gastroenteritis)

Gastroduodenal erosions/ulcerations (non-pharmacologic/not related to drug ingestion) due to infiltrative diseases such as neoplasia (cancer) or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

Metabolic disorders such as renal and hepatic disease

Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism)

Erosions/ulcerations from stress or sepsis (wide spread infection)

Drug administration (glucocorticoids/steroids and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs/NSAIDS)

Gastric/duodenal foreign bodies

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis – both infectious and non-infectious

Esophageal disorders

Because so many of these differentials are life-threatening, prompt attention by Roxy's vet is important.

Stanguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or not urine - usually indicates a bactrerial urinary tract infection but, less commonly, uroliths (stones) or neoplasia (transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra) are found. Roxy's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of threapy is completed in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, her vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.