divealot1, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Let me help you with all your canine needs. I have 28 years experience in caring for dogs of all breeds!

I had to take my dog to Emergency Vets at the weekend and he

I had to take my dog to Emergency Vets at the weekend and he unfortunately had to be put to sleep. I can't stop thinking that if I had perhaps taken him a couple of hours earlier things might have been different. Could someone help I am just so devastated
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He was Zak and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma of the liver which had ruptured
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He had been attending my own vet because he had been drinking a lot of water which was unusual and couldn't walk as far as usual and when he tried to lie down his back legs were obviously sore as he lay down head first then his behind slowly. Vet said legs were probably osteoarthritis and prescribed Tramadol for pain. Blood tests were inconclusive so did an Ultrasound and thought there may be a mass on the liver and then on Saturday night he seemed to take a turn for the worse. He started to wobble badly when trying to walk then would flop down and try to what looked like belly surfing to move and when he got up his front paw was all turned in and he was really struggling - thats when I took him to emergency.

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

if he had hemangiosarcoma in his liver...there was nothing anyone could matter how early you took him in.....

You do not need to feel bad about this.This is a nasty tumor and it took one of my dogs also....these are very hard to impossible to diagnose early.......

I hope that helps you.....if you have other questions let me know and I will get back with you tomorrow night......Sincerely, DRB

Please rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. Thank you very much! DRB

And let me know if you need any additional help!

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello - Thank you for your prompt reply. Could you tell me how this could come on so sudden and I did not recognise any problems - we were playing with his toys earlier on that day. What I don't understand is why he suddenly could hardly stand and why his front paw had turned in - I had thought he had actually taken a stroke. Another strange thing was I went upstairs to the toilet and when I came back down he had somehow managed to take himself from one side of the living room and squeeze in at the back of my chair where he never ever went and I had such a job getting him out. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.