Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My two year old dog has been excessively sleepy for the past

Hello,My two year old dog has been excessively sleepy for the past two days. She is eating normally and has been able to go for a 25 minute walk each day (we have not been able to walk twice a day for other reasons) but has been lying down, sleeping most of the rest of the time. Usually she is full of beans and wants to play with her ball and toys for much of the day.We treated her with Panacur for 1 week until Monday but she has had that treatment before without problems. (She had lungworm in the past, despite Milbermax preventative worming tablets so we wanted to ensure it does not recur).Her gums are quite pink in colour and her ears feel cool so I don't think she has a high temperature. She had some diarrhoea on Sunday and Monday but has had normal stools today and she is peeing ok. She has been drinking and eating normally.I was just wondering whether we should wait another day before booking a Vet appointment or get her seen tomorrow?

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Sophie. I'm so sorry she's having trouble and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

It's a relief to hear as well that her gums are quite pink and she's otherwise eating and drinking normally. All of this means it's unlikely this is an emergency.

That being said, it's always better to be safe than sorry. While I take heart in recognizing that nothing you've described indicates this clearly is an emergency, I'd still want to call the vet and get her soon as soon as possible. Even if it turns out to be nothing serious, it'll be worth the peace of mind.

So, in short, I would still recommend getting her seen tomorrow if that's possible.

Does that help to answer your question at this point in time? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

Is there anything else I may help you with tonight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I think we'll try to get her seen today if she doesn't start being more active.