Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is off its food and drinking lotts of water

Customer Question

my dog is off its food and drinking lotts of water
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, I am sorry for the delay in response. It seems no expert were available when you posted your question. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is she spayed?

3- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no pre med. yes spayed. yes drinking more
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, her lack of appetite is because she does not feel well. The big question is: Why is she drinking more than usual. You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. For example, if this is related to an infection she will be started on antibiotics, if she has diabetes she will be treated with insulin and a diet change, etc. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter