Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 month old cockerpoo has had diarrhoea for over 24 hours

Hi my 6 month old cockerpoo has had diarrhoea for over 24 hours now and I noticed a small amount of some blood in it. It is very watery. He has nothing to eat for a day seems a bit quiet. Should I send him to the vets?

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Neil, when we see blood in the stool with diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). In a young dog like Reggie this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to see your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter