nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was given asda puppy tin food by the breeder for my pup

Hi i was given asda puppy tin food by the breeder for my pup aswell as dry food but pup has diahorria. Do i change the wet meat?
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dillon
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dillon?
Customer: Already been to vet on thursday for 1st jab and had mot which vet was very happy with. He said diahorria should subside in a couple of days . But should i just leave dillon on dry food ? To help bind stool?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

When was Dillon last wormed?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dr. B
Stools are just really runny.. he was last wormed on wednesday. He saw my local vet thursday and had his first innolcation. Vet checked him all over and was very happy him and said the diahorria would go in a couple of days when he's a bit more settled.
Ive given him a bitnof puupy iams biscuit this afternoon with a bit of chopped chicken to see if this helps
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Stools are a light brownish colour and no sign of blood. Hes drinking plenty of water and happy eating

Hello again,

I am glad to see that he was covered for worms; though I am a bit surprised he was vaccinated while having diarrhea. The reason that is a bit of a concern is because while diet related diarrhea isn't overly worrisome, we can also see this with brewing gut infections (ie viruses, bacteria, protozoa) and it won't help to have his immune system distracted if he is trying to fight one of those off. Therefore, I will outline some supportive care for you to start now but if this lingers over 24-48 hours we may need to take a fresh stool sample to his vet for testing to make sure nothing infectious has been missed.

Now to start, instead of canned or dry food, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, to reduce the diarrhea and bind it, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. But if we cannot get him settled with the above then we'd want the local vet to reassess and test a stool sample looking for those other concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great many thanks. Ill get cracking on using the information and change his diet. Hopefully this will resolve the problem asap

You are very welcome, my dear. :)
Have a evening day,
Dr. B.