Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

My airedale was vomiting last Sunday hasn’t eaten or drunk

Customer Question

My airedale was vomiting last Sunday hasn’t eaten or drunk for a week, has chronic diarrhoea, no energy etc. Vet was concerned about a ‘heart’ murmur did ultrasound on his chest found a leaky valve consistent with his age-7, but not anything to worry about he was kept in overnight on a drip, now the suggestion is to do ultrasound on his abdomen, I’m very concerned, what should they be looked for ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 30 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Stephen, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. An ultrasound is the most sensitive and readily available imaging for the abdomen and particularly for the gastrointestinal tract itself. All of the abdominal organs are visualized including the full length of the gastrointestinal tract. Ultrasound can visualize the individual layers of the GI tract which facilitates identification of inflammatory bowel disease, infiltrative neoplasia such as lymphoma, and solid tumors such as adenocarcinomas. It can detect changes in the liver, biliary system, urinary system, and spleen that X-rays can't "see". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.