Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy who has hair has urine stuck to her hair. Is that

My puppy who has long hair has urine stuck to her hair. Is that normal ?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If there is long hair around the anus or rear limbs, it is common for them to get some urine on it. Some puppies may not squat down low enough yet to avoid the hair. It also helps to have a sanitary trim down around that area to keep it clean if the hair is really getting in the way. Juno may get better with this on her own, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. You don’t think that this may be a UTI or something that I should go and speak to my vet about?

You are welcome. If it is just urine on the hair after urinating, it most likely isn't a UTI. If you notice urine dribbling when she isn't trying to go (incontinence), frequent attempts to urinate with little to no urine coming out, urinating more often, urinating in the house (unless she is not potty trained - or getting worse if she is partially potty trained) or drinking more than normal; it probably isn't a UTI. It doesn't hurt to check a urinalysis, but if she is just getting urine on her hair when she urinates, it wouldn't be the first thing I worry about. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi thanks again she has just come in and I picked her up and I could fell that her fur that had urine on is sticky. What could this mean ?

You are very welcome. Urine can be sticky if it is dried some. I would make sure it isn't something else she may be getting on her fur that looks like urine as well. With a urinary tract infection, the urine isn't really anymore sticky, but there may be some mucus in it from vaginal inflammation or infection. That may be worth checking out by your vet. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.