Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm looking after a 5 day old pup for a big breeder. She has

hi, I'm looking after a 5 day old pup for a big breeder. She has told me to just let it go, but I can't give up if hes still fighting. His ear went all crusty and half of it fell off, he also has cardboard like skin patches, one on his chin and 2 on his side, one on his side has come up and there is a big hole under with some pus. He was already on synulox drops and I bathe the sores with clorhexidene 1%. Do I just let him go or can I do anything more for him? thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, if there were anything more to be done it would necessarily entail the help of a vet. You've described an immunocompromised pup with overwhelming bacterial (or fungal) infection or perhaps a severe hypersensitivity reaction or immune-mediated disease such as erythema multiforme or toxic epidermal necrolysis. These are diagnoses made by skin biopsy. I applaud your wanting to help this pup but please be advised that you'll be getting into a considerable expense and the prognosis for such a pup is poor to grave.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.