Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We're still having problems with Dolly. We put her on a

Hi Michael, we're still having problems with Dolly. We put her on a grain-free diet, and had 3 nights of uninterrupted sleep, then she went back to barking to go out to toilet. Our vet has now given us a sedative to keep her asleep at night, to "break the habit". Again we had a couple of good nights, then back to barking again. I now think that there is something wrong with her intestines? Over the last 15 months we have tried monitoring and changing what she eats, how much and what time, but nothing seems to work. She does seem prone to illness, she had conjunctivitis last week (treated but now come back) Would it be worth asking our vet to do some more extensive tests on her. She has had blood tests in the past (suspected Cushings, but not) but nothing has been found.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dolly. Yes, it's time to have a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of tests performed. These panels are the most inclusive and cost-effective manner in which to check her GI tract. If nothing untoward is seen, an ultrasound of her abdomen and, in particular, her GI tract is indicated.

The gastrointestinal panel should include a TLI blood test which looks for maldigestion (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency/a lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas) as well as serum folate and vitamin B12 assessment which looks for malabsorption (inefficient aborption of digested food). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's great, thanks Michael. We'll ask our vet for a referral. Luckily she is insured (she was a rescue and the charity we got her from guarantee to insure her for any condition for life)Thanks again, have a great day

You're quite welcome, Linda. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.