Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a girl dog and on the underside of her between her

Customer Question

Hi I have a girl dog and on the underside of her between her back legs she seems to have some redness to her, she's not in pain but it dose seem swollen. Can you help me to identify what might be wrong with her? Or is this normal? Thank you for your time
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Marc, can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The photos are in shadow and so assessing the skin itself is difficult but I can see swelling of her inguinal mammary glands which would be consistent with false pregnancy (pseudopregnancy, pseudocyesis) if she were in heat 1-3 months ago and not bred. Is that the case, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
over new year she was in heat, no she's never been bred or been near a male dog. Would you like me to send another picture?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
See this picture attached

Psuedopregnancy, then, is the cause of the swelling. It should abate within 1-3 weeks unaided although in some dogs it can persist until the next heat period.

Yes, I'd like to take a better look at her skin. Can you photograph it with her lying on her back?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These pictures hopefully will help

Excellent photos, thank you. There's a focal hyperpigmentation associated with her right inguinal mammary gland skin. I can't tell if the skin is otherwise quiet in the photo. If it is, the skin hyperpigmented due to the elevated temperature associated with inflammation of that gland. If the skin isn't quiet - papules or pustules are present - the pigmentation is due to a chronic superficial spreading pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) which can be addressed with an over the counter shampoo containing chlorhexidine and a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin dosed at 20 mg/kg twice daily for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. The antibiotic would need to be prescribed by Pearl's vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.