Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Bella our 6 year old Yorkshire terrier had 14 seizures,

Bella our 6 year old Yorkshire terrier had 14 seizures, close together in one night two weeks ago. She was in the vets for 5 days on a drip and then discharged with an appointment for this Thursday. She suffered with seizures as a pup, was put on epiphen and was okay for 5 years. Advised to wean off drug around October but we waited until after Christmas. she is fine eating, drinking, weeing and pooing but she doesn't recognise or respond to us at all. Is there anything that can be done to get her back to her old self? She has lost almost all sight in one eye, drops Pilocarpine which we were prescribed for her dry eye/nose but damaged her eye so now we administer in her food only. She is booked in to the specialist eye hospital for Friday and our usual vets Thursday.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. The clustering (more than one seizure within a 24 hour period) and, most likely, status epilepticus (the state in which the brain remains over-excited) until I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient) when arising in the forebrain (cerebrum, thalamus) can cause significant and often permanent brain damage. The forebrain governs social behavior such as her recognizing/responding to you. To answer you directly, there's no specific therapy that can regenerate those areas but dogs can "rewire" healthy parts of the brain which you would recognize as her returning to her previous behavior. The time for that to occur is highly variable and not predictable without advanced testing which might be available through a specialist veterinary neurologist whom you can find here: rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/ Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't help thinking that our vet practice has let us down. In your opinion, could she have recovered better if she had been seen immediately? Was time a key factor? Two days after her initial seizures we were given diazepam in a rectal solution in case it happened again. We were massively undercharged which makes me think they know they could have done more. Her Seizures unfortunately happened on a Saturday, we took her in Sunday to emergency vets but they wouldn't take her until Monday morning.

Yes. Certainly. I'm sorry to hear of this. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I have to leave my computer for most of the day but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be. I'm in the Pacific time zone.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.