How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14557
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now

My daughters dog who is staying with us has just eaten 1

This answer was rated:

my daughters dog who is staying with us has just eaten 1 square of milk chocolate She is a 1 year old springer spaniel /Poodle cross. Do I need to worry or do anything

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me how many ounces the square is, how much Ruby weighs, and how long ago the ingestion was?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is onli a small square .eaten about 20 minutes ago . not sure what she weighs she is about knee high and not fat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already paid £14 to contact you

Without specific weight of the chocolate nor the pet it is very challenging to answer the risks succinctly but milk chocolate is much less toxic than dark and if it was <1 ounce she weighs >10 g she should be fine but knowing what to monitor for is advised so with this ingestion, you may see none to mild symptoms which can include

  • Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours and I suspect you won't even see that

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then Ruby should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

I am going to be stepping away from my computer for a few moments but will return soon to see if you have any additional questions or concerns. I really think you should be fine but always best to know what to monitor for