Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

9 year old cocker spanial passing blood in urine

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. I need to ask some questions to best help out. What is his name first off? Is he neutered? Do you feel that he's asking to go to the bathroom more? Straining?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His name is Sky not neutered, yes, also has become a bit smelly lately.

Sorry, I'm not set up for phone calls. If it is ok, I can continue by these means. Is he still eating and drinking ok despite this? How long has the blood been in his urine?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Eating and drinking o k Noticed drops of blood on the floor on closer inspection it is dripping out of his penis

That is great that he's eating and drinking ok. Blood from the penis could be due to a few things. IF he was straining to go, going more often - a urinary tract infection could be at hand. With him being intact still, an infection in the prostate could be the source of it too. He's not an old guy, but he's old enough where tumors of the bladder / prostate can happen and cause blood like this - but this is probably the least likely. What could also be going on if he was straining, straining, and straining to go are bladder stones that could have blocked him. Actual injury to the penis can happen to cause blood to drip from the preputial region.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you digest my best course of action

If it is a lot of blood dripping, then I would recommend getting to your vet / ER clinic to have them assess the situation. IF there is a wound on the penis or he is blocked, then that needs to be addressed. If he's straining, straining, straining to go - then that would make this an emergency situation too. If he's comfortable, eating, drinking, and the blood seems to stop - then it may be something you can give him some time to see what he does.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When I say straining that is not when he s. passing urine.

If he's posturing to go and nothing / very minimal is coming out, then that could be due to a urinary blockage which bladder stones can do this.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
O K THANK YOU, ***** ***** THE LOCAL VET

I'm hoping for the best for this guy. Hopefully it is a urinary tract infection that just needs a short course of oral antibiotics to get resolved.