Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Dr Nimmo, can you advise please about blood tests re

Dr Scott Nimmo, can you advise please about blood tests re Romanian rescue dog I'm getting (I'm in the UK), but the charity says they can't do Leish blood test, as they don't have Leish there. The dog is in North Romania, near Ukraine, and there are no beaches, and they say the vets there don't do the test. Is this ok, or should i insist on it being done? Many thanks
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Anyone out there to answer please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is anyone actually out there ? Got to go offline now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I give up ever getting an answer, how can I get a refund please, is anyone anywhere to answer that ??
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
HELLO!!! - IS ANYONE OUT THERE? Does this service actually work, or is it a scam to collect money for no service! - The link on my Orders for a Refund says a Refund is not available at this time
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
IS THERE A MODERATOR OR SOMEONE TO RESPOND PLEASE??????
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ARE THERE ANY HUMAN LIFE FORMS OUT THERE TO ANSWER MY QUESTION????

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It makes sense to me that if a disease isn't present where a dog has lived, there's no reason to test for it as the dog couldn't be positive for that disease. In addition, if the vets can't do the test, your insisting on it being done will be to no avail. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your reply Dr Salkin. My concern was that a vet mentioned he'd seen a few cases of leishmania here in the UK, from Romanian rescue dogs, and that it's possible that a dog might have crossed borders at some point. So I was wondering how big a risk you think it might be, if the test for leishmania wasn't done?

You're quite welcome. Regretfully, we can't know that. All you can do at this point is insist that you won't rescue this dog unless he's tested or take the risk that he is infected when confirmed by testing in the UK. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that's what I was thinking, he was found on the street.. Can leishmania be transmitted to my current dog by an infected dog in any way, say by a bite or scratch?? Thanks Doc

Conceivably, yes, as it's vector borne (sand flies, mainly) although there's some evidence that an infected dam can infect a fetus intrauterinely.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks doc. We don't have sand flies here fortunately! What about risk to a human from a bite or scratch?

No, a dog can't transmit that infection in that manner. People have to be bit by an infected sand fly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But dog to dog transmission is possible then, by a bite?

A sand fly has to bite an infected dog and then bite another dog.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do you mean then that my dog would not be at risk, if I did bring in a possibly infected dog in the house with him ?

If you don't have sand flies where you live, there's no risk.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for that doc - yeah just an article I saw somewhere online that said there's maybe a possibility of leish being transmitted by an infected dog biting another dog... Thanks for the reassurance!

You're quite welcome.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good to talk to you :)

It's my pleasure.