nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been diagnosed with kidney problems. What kind of

My dog has been diagnosed with kidney problems. What kind of diet should she be on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been on metacam for her back legs

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we'd want her on a diet that is low in protein, sodium and phosphorus. Common options we use for kidney cases are Hills K/D, Royal Canin Renal, or Purina NF. That said, if you try these and your dog doesn't like them, you can compare their levels of each of those components and choose a diet she does like that has a similar low level of each. That way we keep her eating but make sure to reduce kidney workload. Otherwise, if she is diagnosed with kidney issues, you may want to discuss other treatment options for her back legs (ie Tramadol) just since the anti-inflammatories are excreted by the kidneys and we'd want to reduce stress on them if we can do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much. You have put mind at ease. She is still eating and drinking on her own at the moment.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad to be of aid and its good to hear that she is still drinking/eating on her own and hopefully will keep doing so as you and your vet support her.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B
**************************