nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 11 month on Lab, who has started sneezing over the

Hi I have a 11 month on Lab, who has started sneezing over the last three days, and having congestion in his eyes in the morning. Would/could this be allergy? Do dogs get colds? that is what it looks like with out coughing?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any nasal discharge? What color?

Is it from one or both nostrils?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any change to how quick he is breathing or distress?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
nasal is one nostril clear, but seems to be in the evening, gums are pink, no distress, his breathing was a little quick last night, but fine today, eating and behaving like a pup so normal

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see that he is generally himself but I am concerned that this is one sided discharge you are seeing. This is because infectious (viral, bacterial) and allergies should affect both nostrils at the same time. To see one sided signs, is more suggestive of foreign bodies (ie grass awns, seeds, etc) caught up the nose or possible fungal infections (less common). In this case, as it is one sided, I do feel its best to have Yoda seen tonight with a view to possibly flushing his nose under sedation to remove anything that may be caught up the nares or behind the soft palate. If you aren't keen to do that, you could choose to monitor and use non-mediated saline drops in the nostril a few times daily to see if you can reduce nasal irritation but also get him to pass anything caught. I'd not suggest an antihistamine for allergies because that is really uncommon at his age and not likely our cause here. But if we do use this and don't see this settling in 24 hours then again we are best a check here since that is quite suspicious for something being up his nose.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you a foreign body is what I am suspicious of. Will take him to the vet tonight, just wanted peace of mind really. Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.
Glad to be of help & wish you both the best there. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B