Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 9 yr old German shepherd, who is in very good

I have a 9 yr old German shepherd bitch, who is in very good health. We have been so lucky with her, no vet visits at all except annual vaccinations/health checks etc.
I’ve recently started a dog walking business and the past week, on a night time had been very stiff. There has been no signs of hd and she looks like she is limping (but on front legs) In the morning she seems a lot better and doesn’t stop when we are out but is very sore on a night. Any suggestions would be so gratefully accepted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, is anyone here to answer the question? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add on the original question, I have been doing the walking for a few months now, it is only the past week that I have noticed this behaviour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it does state on your website that if you pay you will get a response in minutes!

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Niki, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing a dog who wasn't used to walking as much as she's currently doing which would aggravate osteoarthritis found in most 9 year old large breed dogs. We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Kiya might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to her diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 40 mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product. There are also products containing only EPA.
Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.
If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.
Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate or the over the counter Cosequin or prescription Dasequin (please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-PLUS-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B003ULL1NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432474254&sr=1-1&keywords=cosequin). Adequan is injected into Kiya weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/
Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from KIya's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at her age.
We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam or the new grapiprant isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Kiya's vet. Aspirin dosed at 20 mg/kg of body weight with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch as can be acetaminophen/paracetamol dosed at 15 mg per kg of body weight thrice daily. The two analgesics can be given concurrently and provide better analgesia than either drug alone. If acetaminophen is given for more than 5 consecutive days, it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg per kg of body weight twice daily.
Weight reduction is essential. The less weight Kiya's joints need to carry, the better.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.