nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My shih tzu ate a half a chicken sandwich sandwich with

Customer Question

My shih tzu ate a half a chicken sandwich sandwich with onions 8n it
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Emma 2
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: She's 9 pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

How much onion was in it?

How is she now?

Are her gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Last night. The onions were chopped so fine , don't know. Maybe 1 or 2 teaspoons. She is acting fine today, guns are pink and moist.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gums.
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

Now we always need to be careful with onions but if it was that small a dose Emma had and she is well in herself, then the risk of harm is low. Usually with low doses we can see stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea) and when they've eat lots (not an issue here), we can see damage to red blood cells causing anemia with pale gums. But again this dose isn't likely to cause that for her. In any case, with that all in mind, I'd not be overly worried here. I would just suggest monitoring for the next few days. To offset any Gi upset, we can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But again the fact she is well, we may not even see upset and no issue here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**