Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

11.5 yo mini Schnauzer. Diagnosed Lupus or ITP on multiple

Customer Question

11.5 yo mini Schnauzer. Diagnosed Lupus or ITP on multiple meds for last 8 yrs. Wondering if I can give denamarin, atopica, prednisone, gabapentin, pepcid at the same time on an empty stomach in the morning.
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mitzi
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mitzi?
Customer: Attempts to reduce or stop atopica or prednisone result in pain, muscle weakness, inability to walk, and effects platelets. Had partial liver lobectomy recently due to cancerous mass on liver
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear to hear of this with Mitzi. There are no adverse drug interactions between those drugs/supplements and all can be given with or without food. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For years I've had multiple timers for different meds and meals. Denamarin & atopica both specify empty stomach. Mitzi will love more access to food. At least I may combine in the morning and wait a little bit before feeding. But she'll be free the rest of the day and her nightly doses won't interfere. I swear she lives to eat and keep vets in business

Her appetite is a very positive prognistic factor. According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, Plumb, 2018, Denamarin may be given with or without food but it's best to give on an empty stomach about 1 hour before feeding and Atopica is best given on an empty stomach but vomiting associated with Atopica can be addressed by giving it with food. I'm being a pedant. Mea culpa!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll check into the handbook you mentioned. For years I've held back on food midway and evening to give denamarin and atopica. It will be nice to have less time worried about her eating something. She's tough. Just want her happy and pain free

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.