Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has started limping and i have noticed a flap of skin

Customer Question

My dog has started limping and i have noticed a flap of skin on her big pad also keeps licking it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of this pad to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

It sounds as if the pad were lacerated and the flap of skin will need to be removed by Heidi's vet. The defect fills in quickly. Most dogs will ambulate normally within 48 hours. Cleansing the defect with a mild soap and water plus a protective wrap for a couple days should suffice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou i have sprayed it with hypocare and put a dressing on it

Good work! If not removed, that flap is likely to lose its blood supply, die, and fall off. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. I see a large but shallow defect. The loose pad at the periphery of this defect will slough away unaided.