Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My pug keeps making a horrible noise, as if he was clearing

Customer Question

Hi there,My pug keeps making a horrible noise, as if he was clearing his throat but can't quite do it. He doesn't seem in distress and he can still breathe well but the noise is worrying. He is also trying to hitch his eyes all the time, could he be suffering from hayfever? And if so is there anything I can do?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have uploaded a file of the noise is making
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the file. Give me a moment to listen to it, please...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

It appears to be an exhalatory noise - a muffled cough. Can you confirm that it's exhalatory and not inhalatory for me, please? Can you clarify "...trying to hitch his eyes..." for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He does it when he exhales not when he inhales. Since he started doing it I have noticed several bits of twigs in his poo so I am not sure whether he has been trying to dislodge a splinter from his throat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He tries to scratch his eyes on the rug, he rubs the side of his face on it. That is what I meant by 'hitching" his eyes

Ah! His eyes itch and he's trying to alleviate the itch by rubbing his eyes on the rug. Foreign material in his GI tract won't cause respiratory clinical signs such as you're seeing. To answer you directly, yes, he may be suffering from an inhalant allergy ("hay fever") but we can't rule out an upper respiratory infection without a physical exam. You can see if an over the counter antihistamine is of any value, however, but I prefer that his vet check his eyes as eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Which antihistamine might you have at home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have antihistamines for human consumption

Which, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Clarityn 1 a day
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also he has been treated for un upper respiratory infection, we finished giving him his meds just about a week ago.

Loratidine (Claritin) can be dosed at 5 mg (for a small dog such as he) once daily. Considering his recent history, however, I would be suspicious that his URI hadn't resolved or perhaps recrudesced (relapsed without cure in between events). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Shall I bring him back to the Vets?

I believe that that would be prudent. His vet needs to know that he's symptomatic once again. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks I will do that

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.