Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a lonh haired border collie, and she has been knawing

Customer Question

hi there, I have a lonh haired border collie, and she has been knawing at her back, and is making it bleed, ans very sore, I have flesa treated her, and shampood her but she still persists, Is there an anti septic cream/spray for dogs, that she wont lick off. or any other remedy that you could reccomend.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: Her name is "Maid" and she is 8 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maid?
Customer: Apart from being a nervous dog, she is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Maid. Regretfully, over the counter remedies aren't likely to be helpful at this time. By the principle of Occam's Razor, she has developed a flea saliva allergy which can arise several days after all fleas have been killed. This allergy is best addressed with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone prescribed by her attending vet. Be sure to treat your premises as well with an over the counter product containing an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as methoprene. IGRs don't allow flea eggs or larvae to mature into adult fleas thus breaking up the life cycle of the flea. Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray is one such product. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.