Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hop you can help my gsd dog has a worms I do worm him from

Customer Question

Hi hop you can help my gsd dog has a worms I do worm him from the vets regular but the worms are in his faeces I’ve given a sample Tony vet of 25 yrs experience and she don’t know what they are , I was wondering is there my Rare species of worm other than the 4 regular worms. As we are at a loss and don’t know how to treat ordeal with this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Jane, the only worms you can see with the naked eye are the roundworm and tapeworm. The roundworm is cylindrical and may coil up in the feces. The tapeworm is flat and segments of it look like little boxcars which when dry look like little pieces of rice. Over the counter products containing either pyrantel or fenbendazole address roundworms. Over the counter products containing praziquantel address tapeworms. Please note that flies will lay eggs in feces. Those eggs will hatch into larvae (maggots) which are often thought to be from a dog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
As my dog did it I picked it straight up and they were in it also this morning there was a dead blue bottle in amongst poo we are investigating our food supply factory now incase it has com from there but we just don’t know what to do , I’m going to starve him for 24 hrs and change his food he eats dry food and eats it straight away so no chance of fly laying it’s eggs

Please note that worms in his food would be digested by Mister and so wouldn't appear in his feces. I don't see the need to starve him. Presumptive worming with the products I mentioned should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It is a dry kibble and I’ve asked the manufacture to test the food as it could come from food source

I've offered up all I have and so I'll opt out which will give another expert the opportunity to enter this conversation...perhaps with other ideas for you.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.