Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 2 year old labrador has just eaten a packet of maltesers

Customer Question

My 2 year old labrador has just eaten a packet of maltesers that she found on our morning walk. I don't think there were many sweets, maybe 1 or 2 but she has eaten the packet. Why should I do please?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Labrador will be able to digest that. What is the Labrador's name?
Customer: Edith
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Edith?
Customer: No, she is healthy otherwise. Has had 2 ruptured cruciate ligaments but that's not relevant to this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Edith, please?

The candy is nontoxic but the paper can obstruct her gastrointestinal tract. I would induce emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My vet's practice opened at 8.00a.m. I spoke to the vet then and was advised that as 2 hours had passed since the incident, it was too late to induce vomiting. We are hoping that nature will take its course but I am watching her carefully for any signs of distress. Unfortunately, your advice came too late to assist.

Thank you for the update. It isn't too late to induce emesis if paper still remains in Edith's stomach as would be the case if the package weren't thoroughly masticated into small pieces. I would still attempt to do so.