Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 5 1/2 month old Maremma puppy. Excellent healthy

I have a 5 1/2 month old Maremma puppy. Excellent healthy etc BUT he keeps getting boils?/abcesses? along and next to the shaft of his penis. Last week one burst and I have kept it clean so it has dried to a scab but there are others emerging. They are causing him no pain or discomfort. I have a picture if that helps. Any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Cal
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cal?
Customer: Highly pedigreed. Growth in last 10 weeks has been massive. 9kg-33kgs in the 10 weeks. No other health issues, full of beans
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I would like to see the pic, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried to attach pic. Has it transferred?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The red ring I see is an epidermal collarette which most often represents bacterial skin infection (pyoderma) which is also the underlying cause of his furuncles ("boils") he's been developing. Treatment at this time should consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing every other day in a 2-4% chlorhexidine- or 2.5-3% benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of current infection and prevent further collarettes and furuncles from developing. As he matures, you'll see him develop resistance to skin infection.

The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for this. Is this commonly seen in puppies? Assume not sign of a more serious underlying problem?

Yes, prepubertal pups are most often affected. The mild form of this infection is called impetigo - a superficial bacterial skin infection of nonhaired skin. Correct, it doesn't indicate a serious underlying problem although could suggest endoparasitism. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many thanks. You have answered all questions and I greatly appreciate your input. Cheers

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
welcome