How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrMelJ Your Own Question
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 842
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035
Type Your Dog Question Here...
DrMelJ is online now

My dog ate 5 double chocolate chip cookies help please

This answer was rated:

Hi my dog ate 5 double chocolate chip cookies help please

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I have a few questions..

How old is your dog and how big?

How long ago did this happen?

How big were the cookies/ were they baked already or raw?

Thanks and I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He’s 7 years old and quite bigBaked at this happened about an two and a half hours ago

I need a weight ideally.

And were the chocolate chips dark chocolate, semi sweet or milk chocolate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe they were milk chocolate
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/all-doughnuts--cookies---muffins/sainsburys-double-chocolate-cookies-x5-6544339-p?storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=ZZvjKfKAv0vY7ZEd7c7g8rgkewAhI%2BPPp5H2RgUMhQ%2Fj7LHKBLBb3hvuOANcmOuMrY9mDD3zJT6B6TBz%2BJNeRPBkauveKfjM%2F0JWss3QpNDe7RNirMLwUsZtU6KoU3fw&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fall-doughnuts--cookies---muffins%2Fsainsburys-double-chocolate-cookies-x5-6544339-p
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the link to the cookies
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m 100% sure what his weight is as my parents are out and they know

It takes a lot of milk chocolate to be toxic for a large dog. Thank you for sending the link that was helpful.

Here are my recommendations.....

1. Try to induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide. Give 2-3 teaspoons. This should cause vomiting within 5-10 minutes. If it doesnt work the first time you can try again with another 3 teaspoons

2. Watch him closely for signs of toxicity or sickness from eating the cookies ......this includes pacing, panting, increased heart rate, inappetance and ongoing vomiting and diarrhea.

If you see any of these clinical signs please get him to a vet as soon as possible.

I dont think he ingested a toxic dose if he is over 50 lbs but the the fat content of the cookies could still make him sick. Watch him closely.

I hope this helps. Let me kbnow if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you but I don’t have hydrogen peroxide and it’s 1:07am so all shops are shut

Oh Im sorry to hear that. If you can find some way to get hydrogen peroxide in the next 3 hours you can certainly try the vomiting. If not, Id recommend watching him closely for those signs of illness that I described and try to encourage him to drink water. Take him to the vet if he shows any of those signs of illness.

Best wishes

DrMelJ and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you