Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has a spot in his chest

My dog has a spot in his chest
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
What she and breed is the dog?
How long has the spot been there and has it changed?
Can you please send a clear photo of the spot.
what age and breed
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Cocker spaniel about 2 weeks and yes I’ll send one now
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Photo
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The black dot is a scab
He is two weeks old or the spot has been there for 2 weeks?
Does he have any other skin lesions elsewhere?
Has he been itching or licking the area?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He’s 2 years old
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
2 weeks it’s been there
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He licks its time to time and scratches sometimes but not all the time
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
no he had good skin all over
Ok thank you.
Is this located at his nipple?
Male dogs have several sets of nipples- you should be able to see if there is another nipple on the opposite side.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It’s in the area where a human nipple would be if you know why I mean but he doesn’t have one the other side
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It’s located not far from his front arm
Ok, it may or may not be the nipple. From the picture, this appears to be a patch of dermatitis (inflamed skin) and it also looks to be mildly infected.
A lesion like this can initially be caused by e.g. an insect bite or sting, or perhaps the dog catching his own skin when scratching. If he has no other skin lesions, we should be able to treat it quite easily.
First, it is essential that he is not able to lick or scratch at it at all as this will delay healing. You may need to use a loose cotton tshirt +/- a buster collar/cone.
Cleanse the area twice daily with salty water and then dry it.
If it is not improving quickly or is getting worse you may well need some antibiotics from your vet (either a cream or some tablets).
It's also important to ensure he is up to date with his external parasite prevention e.g. a spot on such as Advocate, as this time of year we see lots of fleas and mites which can cause skin issues.
Monitor his skin and ensure he does not develop any further lesions, as this may indicate something else going on e.g. allergic skin disease or a contact allergy to something in the environment.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok that great thank you we went camping 2 weeks ago and he was wearing a harness around that area and we did lots of walks and he was going in the sea so that might have irritated the area
Absolutely. Or he may have grazed the skin on e.g. a bramble and is now delaying the healing by licking/scratching.
Its worth saying another consideration would be ringworm, although I rarely see it in this location and it tends to occur in younger dogs. Has he been around any e.g. kittens or farm animals? Or does anyone in the family have ringworm? If so, this would make it more likely. Ringworm is a fungus and may require an antifungal cream, although in many dogs it will clear up of it's own accord, even without treatment.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
That’s great thank you so much I’ll do what you’ve said and keep an eye on him
Fab. Feel free to keep me updated and fingers crossed it clears up shortly.