Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has melanoma, but it's been removed. He has not had a

Hello, my dog has melanoma, but it's been removed. He has not had a flea treatment this year because of our preoccupation with various cancer treatments. He is not currently having any treatment except Zitac (Cimetidine 200mg per day). I am just wondering if we can give him a flea treatment tonight, the one we have is Nexgard Spectra, each chewable tablet contains 18.75 mg afoxolaner and 3.75 mg milbemycin oxime. We can ask the Vet on Monday but noticed he's scratching and then that triggers a cough (it always has so unsure if melanoma related but if we stop any itching he'll be more comfortable). Thanks.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you would like to give NexGard Spectra to help with flea control for Toby, but want to make sure it will not interact with cimetidine (which he is taking to control stomach upset associated with his cancer therapy) or cause him any trouble.

The ingredients of NexGard Spectra are afoxolaner and milbemycin, and neither one of those has any reported negative interactions with cimetidine. I do not see any problem with Toby taking cimetidine and NexGard Spectra concurrently.

Best of luck with your fellow.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks Dr Kara. He's also taking turmeric as a holistic type treatment for cancer. He had that much earlier today (about 6 hours ago), I'm assuming it's probably ok to take with the flea treatment. I realise there is probably no guidelines for this, so realise it would be your opinion only. Thanks again.

You are correct that there are very few guidelines associated with many holistic/alternative type supplements and prescription medications. I do not see any problem giving the NexGard now, as 6 hours later the turmeric is out of his stomach and well digested and absorbed.

As an aside I would be slightly wary of giving turmeric and omega 3 fatty acids together as both can act as anticoagulants and increase bleeding time.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks Dr Kara. We will make sure not to mix turmeric with anything known to be anticoagulant (and we're limiting the dose for this reason too). Thanks again.

My best to your pup!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thankyou! :-)

Thank you for the picture! He looks like a puppy, definitely not like a senior citizen!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Everyone says that when he's bounding around at the park. :-) For now he's fine. Thank you.