Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My bloodhound has a lump as big as a nickel and sticks out

My bloodhound has a lump as big as a nickel and sticks out about an inch at least. Most dusts have a yellowish skin tone to it. This one is red and has a hard core at the bottom. I have all kinds of medical stuff for my dogs but I don’t know what to do about it and wanted to know if I should take it off or leave it alone. I can’t afford to take her to the vet right now
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
How long has this lump been there? Is it growing or changing?
Where is the lump?
Is she licking or chewing at it?
Finally, could you please send a clear picture so I can see the lump?

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see if you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The lump has been there about three months and hasn’t changed. She can’t lick it because it’s on the loose skin on her neck. She tries to scratch at it. I’m not sure how to send a picture. It looks like a cyst to me except it’s flesh colored and red in places. It is always oozing. There is a hard knot at the bottom of it and feels soft above it. I have the right stuff to get it out to include anti biotic spray but I wanted a professional opinion first. Do you have pictures of different kind of cysts and growths you could send me. In the meantime I’ll try and send a picture

This link may help you send a picture:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Has the lump every actually been seen by a vet and have any tests (such as a fine needle aspirate) been performed on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it hasn’t. That’s why tried this site because it was cheaper than a vet right now

I understand.

My concern would be that whatever the lump may be ( a cyst, fatty lump, wart or something more sinister) if it is oozing and red it sounds to be infected. It is likely that Annabelle will need prescription antibiotics to clear up the infection.

The 'hard knot' also concerns me as most benign lumps such as cysts will be completely smooth and regular.

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'the right stuff to get it out'?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have alcohol an exacting knife garage etc.

I do hope you are joking. Removing a lump from an animal is a procedure that can only be carried out by a qualified veterinary surgeon with anaesthetic. I have no doubt you will do more harm than good (both mentally to your dog and physically). There would be a high risk of uncontrolled, bleeding, skin break down and infection.

At home, you can certainly clean the lump with salty water twice a day in an attempt to get rid of the infection. You can also prevent scratching by using a loose cotton t-shirt that covers the lump. These two things alone may treat the infection as long as it is not too deep. If it is not resolving, antibiotics will be needed.

If the lump is a benign (non cancerous) growth such as a cyst/skin tag etc., at her age most vets would likely take a wait and see approach and not remove it anyway. They would check it every so often to ensure it is not growing or changing and treat any infections that may occur.

If it is a cancer, it would typically need to be analysed before removing it. This is because certain cancers, such as mast cell tumours, can grow deeper than expected so just removing the portion of the lump that is visible won't actually do much good.

Again, please do not be tempted to perform any sort of cutting/removing yourself as you are more likely to create a problem rather than fix one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will call and make her an appointment

Great, I do think that that's for the best. I appreciate it can be costly and would encourage you to be upfront with your vet about your financial situation so that they can work with you. As I say, hopefully things will work out cheaper than you expect as if for example the vet is happy that the lump is nothing to worry about, you can be reassured that we can simply monitor for now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thank you very much