Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think he may have conjuctivitus, he has what I can only

I think he may have conjuctivitus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he has what I can only describe as gunk in his eyes the left being the worst
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: his eyes mainly the left
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: benson he will be 11 in sept hes a boxer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benson?
Customer: no just his eyes
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I read through your question about Benson and type my reply
Has Benson ever had any eye issues in the past?
Is he the kind of dog prone to eye discharge or 'eye bogies' you need to clear regularly?
Does his eye appear bloodshot/red and sore and is he holding it closed?
Canning confirm he is otherwise in good health and is not on any medication?
Does he seem bright, happy and social?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
hi his eyes r bloodshot and red no he not holding them closed he hasn't had this oroblem in the past he does have hay fever
Great, thank you for this.
While it may well be that this is a conjunctivitis secondary to a hay fever type allergy there are a few other things that this could be.
I would want to ensure his eyes are not dry (a condition known as KCS) which can be easily checked for with a 'tear test' in consult.
I would also really want to ensure there are no ulcers. This can also be checked for in consult with a simple stain. This is really essential in Boxers as they are very prone to a type of eye ulcer called an indolent ulcer.
While at home you can offer a 4mg Piriton tablet every 12 hours, bathe the eyes with salty water and preventing rubbing with a buster collar, I would recommend a vet check today because of his age/breed and the fact that it is his eyes that are the issue (and he only has 2!).
At a minimum, the vet can prescribe drops to settle the inflammation/infection and start treatment asap for a quicker recovery.
If he does have an ulcer, its vital we treat immediately as these can get worse quickly and can even lead to a dog losing their eye in the worst case scenario.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****