Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 1year old springer cross, recently his fur has been

I have a 1year old springer cross, recently his fur has been falling out and has red patches on his elbows. I have deliced him and treated him for fleas and mits. But this last 48hrs, he has diarrhea and now has been vomitting. He is lively enough, he didnt want his food, earlier today and when i give him a small amount of food it brought it straight back up. I also have a german sheperd, no problems there. My vet is closed today as it is a bank hoilday. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
It sounds as though there are two separate things going on here- a skin complaint and a gastro enteritis /stomach upset.
This is unless the parasite product you used may have caused the symptoms. What is the name of what you used - have you used it before and when was it applied?
Is his skin improved now or is it still red/irritated? Does he lick, chew or scratch at it?
Can you think of anything that may have triggered his upset stomach e.g. change in diet, new treat, drinking dirty water from outside, eating something he shouldn't have?
Is the diarrhoea like water or melted poo and is there any blood or mucus? How often is he going?
Similarly, how often is he vomiting?
Does he seem lethargic?
When you check his gums are they pink and wet rather than dry/sticky?
Thank you in advance for answering these questions which will help me provide you with a better answer.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I dont think the treatment i used is the cause, i used it 2 weeks ago on both dogs and sasha the GS is ok. He has a tendency to eat stuff from the garden. Hes always at something. At 4am the diarrhoea was like greeny water, and for a moment i was unsure what end it came from. And when he went it must have been sore as he was wippering and a bit frighten. No blood in last time he went was at 4. He has stopped being sick, as i have not tryed to feed him since 5pm yesterday. He is drinking water, not as much as he usall, even then he was bringing that up to. Hes not himself, he is in his bed at the monent, and seems tired, which is not surpriseing when hes been up most iff the night. His gums are pink, Wet. Pale pink. I think you are right, it looks like he has eaten something.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What do i do next
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Have just give him amall portion off boiled rice. Hes straving. Is this the right thing to do.
Thank you for this additional information
I agree the parasite prevention is unlikely to have been the cause.
So he had had one episode of diarrhoea at 4am and has not vomited since yesterday 5pm- that's quite positive as he is not continuing to lose liquid to should be maintaining his hydration.
Absolutely, we want to continue feeding and allowing him to drink. The very best thing we can give him is bland boiled chicken and rice little and often, ensuring he keeps it down. Encourage water drinking and you can even mix some of the chicken water in so he wants to drink more.
He should be happy to eat and drink and his gums should stay pink and wet. Similarly, his belly should be soft and comfortable to touch rather than tense/bloated/painful.
As long as there is no further vomiting and the diarrhoea settles, he should continue to improve.
If he continue to bring food up, seems more lethargic or develops other symptoms such as bloating or panting or you are concerned, he should be examined by a vet.
Although it is the bank holiday, your regular vet is obliged to provide out of hours care (which may be at a nearby clinic). You can call them to find out where the nearest vet is.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****