Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog hasn’t been well since Saturday. She keeps vomiting

Hi my dog hasn’t been well since Saturday. She keeps vomiting and hasn’t eaten since Friday evening (when she was absolutely fine) she still wants to go for a walk but other than that she won’t move. She ate a little bit of chicken this morning but has since been sick again. She is drinking water though
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She’s around 11 she had a bout of sickness that cleared up a couple of weeks ago with an anti sickness injection. She also just finished a course of antibiotics for an abscess
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Do we have any other underlying medical conditions ? Which antibiotic was given last time and has any blood work been done in the last months
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No blood work and no underlying medical conditions. I’m not sure what antibiotics it was. It was for an abscess she got under her tail that actually burst on its own that has healed now though. She’s been absolutely fine until Saturday. Today she has shown an appetite though
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She does have a bad habit of truffling and eating anything she comes across...
dogs do like to get a hold of many different things. Any pain or tenderness on the abdomen?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No pain in her belly
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I’ve only given her boiled chicken breast which she’s eaten so she is hungry so far she’s kept the second lot of chicken down atm

Have the stools been looser or different in any way recently? Are we on a monthly heartworm and dewormer preventative? What is our normal diet?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Her stools have been fin up until a little bout of diarrhoea on Friday morning she hasn’t really been since. She’s not on a worming plan she eats a raw food diet as she has white skin and anything with grains gives her skin allergies she’s been on a raw food diet for 3 years
How has the water consumption been today ?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She’s drinking quite a lot in one go rather than frequently if that makes sense
Does it seem the water consumption has increased these last days or week?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Her water consumption increased with the first bout of sickness a couple of weeks ago and has remained the same since
The water consumption now is increased as to what it would have been say a month ago? Or before all of this started ? Are we panting more ?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
it’s increased but she’s not panting more
Are we also urinating more this last month ?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
in conjunction with increased water intake - nothing startling
Any innapropriate location for the urination? Or accidents in the house ?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Erm yes actually twice the week before last - this isn’t too strange for her though as little accidents are something she every now and then and has done since she was a puppy
Ok. The reason I was asking is that increased water consumption in dogs and increased urination can be signs of other, internal issues going on. When I take that into account with the not wanting to eat. This can point potentially to more going on also internally.
Did we eat the chicken today with a lot of appetite? Or was it very slow? Will she eat anymore now?
The stools have remained loose since Friday also?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Lots of appetite- she gotup and came to the bowl I put down for her and my other dog
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She hasn’t really had a movement since Friday as she hasn’t eaten anything

My concern after all that you have told me is that there is potentially more going on internally. It sounds like you have done all the regular steps at home to entice appetite, to rest the GI tract. The fact that we are still not wanting to eat and not passing stools I would recommend to be seen at a clinic soon. I say this as it is best to find out what the underlying problem or cause is before it gets worse, also before any dehydration starts to set in. I would recommend bloodwork to assess where the internal paramaters are, this will address the red and white blood cell counts, and also the internal organs and electrolytes. From these findings we will know much better where all the organ values are at and what is causing us to not feel so well. X-Rays may also be discussed to ensure we did not ingest something we should not have eaten.

Until you are able to get into a clinic, ensure that we are staying well hydrated and try to keep getting calories into the system.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok thank you

Do you think you will be able to get into a clinic today? I just ask also since in cases like this we also are concerned about any potential foreign objects they may have eaten.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Not today it will be first thing tomorrow morning

Will we eat more chicken today for you, have you ever tried hamburger and rice? Many times they will like that and it can be soothing and easily digestable to the GI system. At pet stores you can pick up a product called NutriCal, a high energy food supplement that you can give orally to keep the energy levels up. It comes in a tube like toothpaste, such that you can administer it easily into the mouth.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
She’s had a little more chicken and I’ll try and find an open pet shop - tricky with it being bank holiday

Very true, you are in the UK I understand then.

Possibly some grocery stores that carry pet products may have some of the Nutrical, it may go by a different name if the store has a different supplier. Ask the store sales associate if you do not find the exact name for a high energy food supplement for dogs not eating so well.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I’ll try and locate some and monitor her hydration today

This message line can stay open for a while, if you have any other questions until you are able to be seen at your clinic. Please let me know. Best of success today. Dr Mike

Customer: replied 24 days ago.

You are welcome.