Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

He is coughing and bringing up but no other symptoms of

He is coughing and bringing up slime but no other symptoms of kennel cough. He is a 9 month old border collie so can I give him cough syrup
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rylan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rylan?
Customer: Over shot but nothing else

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

It does sound like his symptoms are indeed quite typical of kennel cough. Usually the cause is viral and self resolving over 2-3 days. So long as he is bright, active and eating/drinking then you can usually manage this at home. Soft/wet food and some honey in warm water can.help to sooth things, cough syrups are of little help and some can be harmful to dogs so I would avoid them.

If things are not improving after 3 days, or he seems lethargic or off his food then I would advise a check up with your vet.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thankyou. Didn’t want to go to vet if it was contagious

Indeed it will be contagious so avoid contact with other dogs until the signs have fully resolved. Your vets can make allowances to see her in a different area of the practice etc if she did need to go there but hopefully this will not be necessary.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thankyou but she is a he loll

Apologies! I hope he recovers quickly

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thankyou for reply. Rylan is back to normal and not coughing. He is a dreadful plastic chewer and I wonder if he had just scratched the back of his throat. Will keep him in just in case but his stablemate is fine. Regards Nadine

Ok great to hear.

Chris

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How long is the incubation time for kennel cough

Around 7-14 days, but it depends on the exact strain (viral or bacterial)